Doctors usually recommend gaining weight to people who consistently weigh too little, which can cause a range of health problems. Bodybuilders and other athletes may also hope to gain weight by building muscle.
A person who is underweight is likely to experience health issues, including:
- developmental delays
- a weakened immune system
- an increased risk of complication during surgery
Foods That Help You Gain Weight Quickly
The following nutrient-rich foods can help a person to gain weight safely and effectively. While gaining weight can be a struggle, the following foods may help. They can also increase muscle and boost overall health.
Milk offers a mix of fat, carbohydrates, and proteins. It is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium. The protein content of milk makes it a good choice for people trying to build muscle. One study found that after a resistance training workout, drinking skim milk helped to build muscle more effectively than a soy-based product. For anyone looking to gain weight, milk can be added to the diet throughout the day.
Protein shakes can help a person to gain weight easily and efficiently. A shake is most effective at helping to build muscle if drunk shortly after a workout. However, it is important to note that premade shakes often contain extra sugar and other additives that should be avoided. Check labels carefully.
A cup of rice contains about 200 calories, and it is also a good source of carbohydrates, which contribute to weight gain. Many people find it easy to incorporate rice into meals containing proteins and vegetables.
Steak contains both leucine and creatine, nutrients that play a significant role in boosting muscle mass. Steak and other red meats contain both protein and fat, which promote weight gain. While a person is advised to limit their intake, leaner cuts of red meat are healthier for the heart than fattier cuts.
Nuts and nut butter
Consuming nuts regularly can help a person to gain weight safely. Nuts are a great snack and can be added to many meals, including salads. Raw or dry roasted nuts have the most health benefits.
Nut butters made without added sugar or hydrogenated oils can also help. The only ingredient in these butters should be the nuts themselves.
These breads contain complex carbohydrates, which can promote weight gain. Some also contain seeds, which provide added benefits.
Starches help some of the foods already listed to boost muscle growth and weight gain. They add bulk to meals and boost the number of calories consumed.
More Tips to Gain Weight
Combining a high calorie intake with heavy strength training are the two most important factors. There are several other strategies to gain weight even faster. Here are few more tips to gain weight:
- Don’t drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
- Eat more often. Squeeze in an additional meal or snack whenever you can, such as before bed.
- Try weight gainer shakes. If you’re really struggling then you can try weight gainer shakes. These are very high in protein, carbs and calories.
- Use bigger plates. Definitely use large plates if you’re trying to get in more calories, as smaller plates cause people to automatically eat less.
- Add cream to your coffee. This is a simple way to add in more calories.
- Get quality sleep. Sleeping properly is very important for muscle growth.
- Eat your protein first and vegetables last. If you have a mix of foods on your plate, eat the calorie-dense and protein-rich foods first. Eat the vegetables last.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers tend to weigh less than non-smokers, and quitting smoking often leads to weight gain.