Preparing for delivery and a baby can be quite demanding on both parents. Things get more interesting in the final months of pregnancy towards delivery. In those moments, both parents keep hearing voices in their heads ‘’our baby is coming soon, what more is left for us to get?’’
In addition, every mother desires to have a safe delivery of a healthy baby and wants to get through the delivery period without any difficulties. But for this to happen, expectant parents must take into consideration proper preparation during the time of pregnancy and delivery.
Of course, it is not that easy preparing and getting ready to welcome your baby. No matter how much efforts expectant parents put in, it still feels like something is missing. This article points out some very important preparation tips to give you the best expecting-mother experience ever.
Check List For Expectant Mothers Before Delivery
At that time when the mother starts gaining enough belly weight, she is prevented from doing a lot of activities. That sends a hint to the man that it’s your time to support. It is advisable at this period to turn to friends or relatives or in-laws or maybe adopt the idea of getting a maid.
Here are some things you should never forget in preparing for the safe. delivery of your baby.
Attend Your Ante-natals
Never miss your ante-natal sessions with your doctor. This is the most important aspect of the pregnancy. You can either call it ante-natal or baby class. It is here that you get to learn about your baby’s health, your health, get flu shots and probably ask any question regarding your pregnancy for clarity.
Choose a Diet Plan
Diet plans are crucial for ensuring the healthy status of both mother and child. Always notify your doctor on preferred diet plans during your hospital visit. Listen to your doctor about appropriate food choices.
To maximize prenatal nutrition, you should include;
- Lean proteins (meat, fish, eggs, beans).
- Wholes grains (oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, bread).
- Dairy foods (milk, yogurt, cheese).
Learn About Breastfeeding
Don’t expect breastfeeding to be spontaneous. Most first time mothers find breastfeeding depressing and very challenging. So try to learn the various breastfeeding techniques even before giving birth. This is likely to be taught you during your antenatal class.
Prepare Your Home Care Pack
You might want to take another look at your favorite checklist to make sure you have everything you need are are ready for your precious baby.
Let’s get started, shall we?
- Burp cloths
- Breast pump
- Milk storage containers
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pads
- Lotions for sore nipples
For formula feeding;
- Baby bottles with nipples
- Bottle and nipple brush
- Thermal bottle carrier
- Diapers (re-useable or disposable)
- Waterproof covers
- Changing pad
- Baby ointments
- Snaps or safety pins
- Disposable wipes
- Socks, scratch mittens, blankets, cardigans, pants and baby hats
- Laundry detergent
Bath & Bed;
- Plastic infant tub
- Baby soap
- Soft-bristled hair brush
- Soft hooded towels
- Nets, Mattress and cribsheets
- Baby car seat
- Stroller, baby carrier, diaper bag
- Nail clippers, baby thermometer
- Playpen, toys
Prepare Your Delivery Pack-bag
When labour starts, here are some important items you need to bring to the hospital in preparation for the delivery of your baby.
- Health insurance card.
- Hospital admission papers.
- Pregnancy medical documents, including scans, drugs and prescription information.
- Money, camera, cell phone and charger.
- Books and magazines.
- Foods, snacks and drinks, if allowed by the hospital.
- Stopwatch and night-light.
- Massage rollers, massage oils to relieve labor pain.
Have Your Own Mommy’s delivery Package
Hospitals sure has everything you possibly need during delivery such as gown, slippers, net and toiletries.
However, it is also important to carry your own mommy bag along to avoid unpleasant situations. Items to bring can include:
- Nightgown and bathrobe.
- Bra, nursing bra and breast pads.
- Socks (several pairs).
- Underwear (several pairs).
- Hair scarf.
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, lotion, deodorant).
- Other items that gives you comfort such as music player, etc.
Have Your Baby’s Arrival Package Ready
Is it a boy? Or a girl? Not every expectant parents like to find out the sex of the baby before delivery. But It is good to know your baby’s gender to help better and proper preparation for the baby’s arrival.
However, irrespective of your baby’s sex, here’s what you should bring along for your baby when he or she arrives:
- Receiving blanket.
- Baby hat.
- Baby socks.
- Warm clothing and home coming outfit.
- Baby car seat.
Choose a Pediatrician
There’s nothing wrong with having lots of questions which has to do with your new born, especially if it’s your first. Getting a pediatrician could provide the extra edge you need in understanding your baby’s health and dealing with baby fears.
- Medtrend Health – Pregnancy And Nutrition / Emma Idoko
- The Bump – 10 Things You Have To Do Before You Go Into Labor / Elena Donovan Mauer
- Today’s Parent – Newborn Checklist / Everything You Need Before Your Baby Arrives