It is true that women are generally healthier than men. Women take better care of their health than the men do, which accounts for them living longer than the men. The records of the male to female ratio at birth show that more boys are born than girls (107 boys to 100 girls), but in many adult population, there seem to be more women alive than the men. Why?
Most men just need to pay more attention to their health because unlike the women, men are more likely to
- Drink alcohol
- Make unhealthy or risky choices
- Work more strenuously
- Not go to the hospital when they are feeling sick
- Cancel or put off regular hospital check ups.
The exact reasons women outlive men are not fully understood, but it is clear that the phenomenon of men not visiting the hospital or seeing their doctors regularly or when they are sick, is probably one of the biological contributors. There are non-biological factors that contribute to more male death rates than females. Statistics show that on average, men visit the hospital only about 4 times in a year, contrary to the women who visit the hospital about 6 times in a year.
Another study reports that out of the 15 leading causes of death, men lead women in all of them except for Alzheimer’s disease, which most men don’t live long enough to develop. On average, men die 5 years earlier than their wives.
How To Start Taking Better Care of Yourself as a Man
Men can start taking charge of their health and there are several things men can learn from the women to live healthier, enjoy life better and live longer. As a man, you can start taking better care of your health by doing the following :
1. Regular Check ups : You can start seeing your doctor more regularly for check up and not only when you are feeling sick. There are some conditions that don’t have symptoms as first and moreover, you will be learning more about your health during these visits to your doctor.
2. Screening test : There are some male health conditions that are age related and seen more as men advance in age. Try to get screening tests that are right for you and your age.
3. Pick up early signs : You can start watching out for the signs of health problems like diabetes, heart diseases, depression e.t.c. and pick up the signs early which makes treatment more successful. You can start by asking your doctor or reading medical documents on the signs and symptoms of these conditions.
4. Healthy diet : 8.7% of cause of diseases in men have been attributed to unhealthy eating habits. Eating healthy diet can reduce your risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
5. Weight loss : Obesity accounts for 10.7% of diseases in men. If you are obese, you can start working on loosing excess weight. There are healthy means to lose weight and you can consult your health professional for advice on how to go about it.
6. Avoid smoking and alcohol : Cigarette smoking contributes to 21.6% of disease in men and greatly increases your risk of several deadly disease and lung cancer. So also does excessive amount of alcohol intake which is related to liver disease. You can start working on quitting smoking and sticking to recommended healthy alcohol limits.
7. Sleep well : Stress and lack of sleep are risk factors for many health conditions. As a man who works had, try to avoid stress and get good night sleeps. There are many ways you can manage stress depending on what suits your schedule.
8. Exercise : lack of exercise has been shown to result in 6.2% of health conditions in men. Exercising regularly can help reduce your risk of heart disease, bowel cancer and stroke. Every man is recommended to have at least 150 minutes of exercise per week. Find out what type of exercises fits your schedule and start.
9. Work safety : Men work more risky jobs than women. Some men have been very sloppy with work safety precautions and some have lost their lives to work hazards. Ensure that you use safety equipment and take precautions for any risky activity.
Many of the health risks and threats to men and health-related cause of death in men are known and can easily be preventable. Men can live and enjoy life longer with their wives and family if they start taking charge of their health.
How useful was this post?
Last Updated on