Africa is a continent with many diverse ethnic groups which all have special foods and drinks linked to each specific ethnic group. For many tourists who have journeyed to Africa, the different local foods and drinks remain an unforgettable experience for them.
Many of these local foods and drinks contain health beneficial nutrients which are worth studying and one of such is fura da nono. There are still many indigenous Africans who still do not know about this gruel nor it’s health benefits.
Fura da Nono is a popular African cold gruel produced and consumed mostly by the Fulani. The meaning of fura da nono in English is simply “millet and milk gruel.” Fura means “millet balls” and nono means “cow milk yogurt”.
This special African drink is very refreshing and many non-fulani Africans enjoy taking it. Individuals of all ages, gender and social class are all able to enjoy a calabash of fura da nono and be refreshed by it.
Nono is a local yogurt produced from the fermentation of cow milk. It is obtained from the fermented milk after the separation of the milk from its lipid component known as “Man Shanu” (cow oil). Nono is loaded with vitamins and minerals that support vital physiological process in the body.
They include vitamin B5, vitamin B12, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, iodine and zinc. The art of nono production is one of the many unique traditions the fulanis have preserved for centuries and the history of fura da nono would be incomplete without them.
Fura is made from millet, a gluten free grain, with lots of minerals and vitamins. Millet also serve as part of our body’s ecological foods as it acts as a probiotic to feed important microflora in the body system. In addition, millet flour from which fura is made, contains vital nutrients such as magnesium, calcium, manganese, tryptophan, phosphorus, fibre, B vitamins and antioxidants.
What are the Health Benefits of Fura da Nono?
- Millet (fura) helps to reduce the effects of migraines and heart attacks due to the presence of magnesium.
- Millet (fura) helps in fat metabolism, repair body tissue and provide energy in the body.
- Vitamin B3 in millet (fura) helps to lower cholesterol levels.
- Nono (milk) yogurts have power boosting protein and bone building calcium.
- Nono is an excellent probiotic which help crowd out harmful micro organisms that can cause intestinal infections.
- The alkaline nature of fura da nono helps to promote digestion and prevent constipation.
Public Health Concern for Consuming Fura da Nono
Although fura da nono in itself have no recorded side effects, hygiene is a public health issue to consider. When it comes to fura da nono, it is can be common for individuals to develop typhoid fever after consuming a poor hygienically prepared fura da nono contaminated with salmonella typhi.
Other micro organisms such as Escherichia Coli and campylobacter can also contaminate nono during the milking process. The most common source of contamination comes from faeces and other intestinal contents.
It is advisable that an individual should ascertain the hygiene conditions of the fura da nono vendors before buying and consuming the delicacy.
- Belewu M.A. and Omotuyi O.J (1998)’ Acceptability on the quality attributes of fura- de- nono:A Nigerian milk product, food quality and preferen Vol 9.
- Boston university. (N.D) Research occupational health program. Retrieved from Www.by.edu/rohp/2012/ 08/kPC-Klebsiella. Pdf.
- Www. Pulichealth.com.ng/ the amazing benefits of Fura Da Nono. Arewadaily.com/fura- de nunu – Medical Advantages.
Last Updated on