Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can make humans and animals sick. They cause illnesses that can range from the common cold to more severe diseases. Coronavirus (COVID-19) was first reported in December 2019 in Wuhan City in China.
What are the Symptoms?
Symptoms can range from mild illness to pneumonia. Some people will recover easily, and others may get very sick very quickly. People with coronavirus may experience:
- Flu-like symptoms such as cough, sorethroat and fatigue,
- Shortness of breath.
How it Spreads
There is evidence that the virus spreads from person-to-person. The virus is most likely spread through:
- Close contact with an infectious person.
- Contact with droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze.
- Touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face
How to Prevent the Disease
Surgical masks are only helpful in preventing infected persons from spreading the virus to others. If you are well, you do not need to wear a surgical mask as there is little evidence supporting the widespread use of surgical masks in healthy people to prevent transmission in public.
The following good hygiene practices helps protect against infections :
- Washing your hands often with soap and water.
- Using a tissue and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoiding close contact with others, such as touching.
- Isolation of infected persons have also been effective in limiting the spread of the disease.
Antibiotics do not work on viruses.
There is no treatment for coronavirus, but medical care can treat most of the symptoms.
Authorities are putting in efforts towards vaccine development.